Friday, April 18, 2014

Document Recovery Trick

So you know that horrible, horrible feeling when you spend an hour perfecting a document that you opened from an email, then you save it, close it, and ONLY THEN realize you had not "SAVED AS" and you DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS?

*insert popped-eye emoticon*

Yeah, I just had that.

But I didn't panic, because I knew it was on my computer somewhere. The trick was figuring out where exactly "somewhere" was. This is what I did:

  1. OK, so I did panic, but only for a moment.
  2. I re-opened Word and looked at my Recent documents list (accessible from the File tab). It was wasn't there.
  3. Had slightly more panic.
  4. I opened Windows Explorer and searched using terms from the file name. Got nothing or a bunch of irrelevant somethings.
  5. Took several deep breaths.
  6. Had this inspiration: reopened the document from the email and did a "Save As". This gave me the location!
  7. Clicked in the folder address box and copied the location.
  8. Opened Windows Explorer and pasted the location into the folder address box.
  9. PRESTO! There it was!
So hallelujah for not panicking (much...), keeping my wits about me (mostly...), and recovering an hour's worth of work with a little know-how!

Happy Good Friday!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment